Change is never easy and it can be overwhelming when it relates to your career. While day-to-day job duties make for a comfortable routine, "comfortable" can also leave you feeling unfulfilled.
Here are five signs you're ready to make a career change – whether you're seeking a promotion or beginning a new venture.
- Your eye is on your inbox. Every time HR sends internal job announcements or LinkedIn distributes an email about jobs you may be interested in, you find yourself intrigued.
- Others look to you for advice. If you’ve become a point person, it may mean you’re a candidate for more responsibility at your current organization or that you've been at your organization too long.
- You’re taking on more work. This could mean you're ready for a promotion because you're working at a higher level, you have enough free time to adopt new job responsibilities or that your organization is taking advantage of your talents.
- You can’t afford not to. If you're living paycheck to paycheck, kicking your career into high gear is an investment of time and/or money that will pay off in the long run.
- You begin sentences with “If I’m here next year…” This is a sure indicator that you've mentally checked out of your current responsibilities.
If any of these reasons resonate with you, you're likely ready to make a change! Begin by exploring professional and continuing studies that will give you the knowledge, tools and strategies to take your career to the next level. If you're worried about how you'll manage balancing work, life and school, keep an eye out for the next post on Thursday, September 11.