Gifts of Securities
Giving appreciated securities is a convenient way to support the Mount while gaining tax advantages.
You receive an income tax deduction for the full market value on the date of the gift, provided you have owned the securities for more than 12 months.
Most donors avoid capital-gains tax otherwise due on the sale of the securities.
How to Give Securities
Securities Transfer Instructions:
Options for electronically transferring stock
- Your Broker could choose to set-up an account at your brokerage firm in the name of the University and transfer your securities into this account, sell the securities, sending the proceeds to the University. - or-
- Your Broker can transfer your securities to the firm with a Mount Saint Mary’s account. Mount Saint Mary’s University federal tax ID number (52-059-1672).
The average of the high and low of your securities on the day of transfer is the amount credited to you as your gift to the College.
Summit Brokerage Services, Inc.
595 South Federal Highway, Suite 500
Boca Raton, FL 33432
Phone: (717) 637-0227
DTC Number: 0443
Account Name: Mount St. Mary's University Donation Account
Account Number: HPH153972
We would appreciate it if you or your broker would notify the Director of Development at (301) 447-5361 of the approximate date of the transfer.
Unfortunately, when funds are transferred electronically, the donor’s name is not always included in the transfer information. By letting us know of your gift, we will be able to properly match the stock that we received with your gift record. Please call or write us with the following information:
- Name of stock transferred
- Number of shares
- Brokerage firm stock transferred from
- Approximate date of transfer
- How you would like the gift used at Mount St. Mary's University
For further information please contact:
Director of Development
Mount St. Mary's University
Emmitsburg, MD 21727
Phone: (301) 447-5361
Fax: (301) 447-7400
These procedures will help ensure that your gift is properly recorded and acknowledged by the Mount.