Administrative Assistant - Communications Office (Job Search Status: Currenntly Accepting Resumes)
Minimum Pay Rate: $10.45/per hour
Work Schedule: Full-time, Monday-Friday, 40 hours/ per week, Some Weekends
Essential Position Functions:
1. Media/Public/Campus Relations
- Performs administrative and office support activities for the Office of University Communications and its staff. Duties may include fielding telephone calls, receiving and directing visitors, word processing, filing, and faxing. Extensive software skills are required, as well as Internet research abilities and strong communication skills.
- Manages mailing lists for all news releases and supervises students in processing/distributing releases. Supervises students in maintenance of paper and electronic files and databases to support this function.
- Coordinates placement of advertisements in print and electronic media, working with outside customer service representatives to ensure deadlines are met and ads placed correctly.
- Provides editorial support - editing, proofreading, and formatting - to directors for news releases, publications and other projects.
- Directs incoming calls from news media representatives, deciding on appropriate contacts, especially in the absence of the Director. Directs publicity-related incoming calls from Mount community members to the appropriate contacts.
- Supervises students in maintenance of system to process clippings about the Mount for promotional and record purposes.
- Hires, trains and supervises all work study students as well as the on call employee, in the office and on the switchboard for the school year as well as the summer sessions.
- Manages and teaches customer service to those students, answering and directing phone calls on switchboard. Calls on-call employee to cover when students can’t report to work.
- Manages “Google Alerts” in order to find and print articles concerning the Mount and the Mount Community.
- Manages Hometown News Release Program, and supervising students in writing and distributing “Hometown” releases publicizing student achievements. Handles feedback from students and parents, updating records and problem solving as needed. Maintains student records database to support this function.
- Develops, maintains and revises all databases for PR office budget items, plus necessary paperwork for all projects involving office staff.
3. Office Management
- Manages PR office project files and supervises students in their maintenance. Coordinates pertinent record keeping activity with other offices as appropriate. Supervise students in maintenance of photo files. Responsible for inventory control of PR office publications and office supplies.
4. Internal Public Relations Activities
- Manage and coordinate materials for President’s Bulletin Board
- Coordinate all schedules for photo shoots (faculty, staff, administration, and alumni).
- Monitors appointments and schedules of Director and other staff.
- FedEx documents and materials to various clients.
- Orders flowers as appropriate for births, deaths and illnesses in the Mount community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
- Must be familiar with and adhere to all the safety rules and regulations for the University Safety Policy which apply to the work environment.
- Superior clerical and editorial skills: reading, writing, computer literacy and general secretarial.
- High level of competency in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Suite.
- Experience in editing/proofreading and bookkeeping required; desktop publishing preferred.
- Strong organizational skills essential: ability to juggle multiple tasks, manages others, delegate tasks and carry through on projects with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work with a variety of other personalities and to communicate effectively as a primary public relations contact essential.
- High degree of confidentiality.
- Overtime may be required.
- High School diploma or GED equivalency required. College degree preferred.
Office of University Communications, 206 Bradley Hall.
Dell Laptop; Epson Scanner, various printers; answering machine; fax machine; photocopier; multi-line phone, camera.
Supervises student workers as well as students answering the switchboard.
To Apply: Complete the Application (Found under the Staff Positions Listings). Mail with cover letter and resume to the Department of Human Resources, Administrative Assistant - Communications Search, 16300 Old Emmitsburg Road, Emmitsburg MD 21727 or fax to (301) 447-5864. Resume may also be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled.
Send inquiries to: email@example.com
Mount St. Mary's seeks administrators who are eager to engage and support our Catholic identity. Mount St. Mary's University has a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity in its educational program and employment practices; we actively seek and welcome applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.