Senior Accounting Manager (Job Search Status: Currently Accepting Resumes)
This position will perform many, if not all, of the professional accounting duties required for Mount St. Mary’s University (“University”). The position will require professional, competent and up-to-date knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, fund accounting, non-profit reporting requirements, the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) Form 990, Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax, and applicable state and federal laws and regulations for a non-profit, private university.
- Decision-making is governed by University policy and legal requirements, but some interpretational latitude may exist.
- This position is accountable for accurate University financial recording and reporting.
- Ensure that receipts or disbursements are properly documented, coded, processed and filed for the University in accordance with applicable University policies and any applicable donor intent.
- Ensure that a vendor master list is created to facilitate IRS Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, compliance and to ensure the calendar year-end 1099 process is completed accurately and timely.
- Assist with the month-end closing of the University financial system, ensuring that each month is closed within established timeframes.
- Ensure that all University monthly and month-end processes are completed on time, including the monthly preparation, analysis and update of all annual audit schedules.
- Assist with the preparation of monthly University financial statements and analytical reports within established timeframes.
- Assist with the fiscal year-end closing of the University financial system within established timeframes.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual University financial statements and footnotes for the University's independent accountants.
- Assist with the preparation of all necessary University tax forms for filing/distribution or ensure that all such forms are prepared and filed/distributed – i.e., property tax, 1099, 990, etc.
- Analyze existing procedures for any opportunity to improve efficiency, accuracy and automation; making recommendations and aiding with implementation of approved recommendations.
- Prepare ad hoc reports as needed for management and other end users.
- Work with existing and any new computer system to ensure efficiency and reporting quality, including the designing, creating and testing of new reports within any existing and any new computer system.
- Work closely with any customer to maintain excellent communication with the customer and among all team members from the University.
- Monitor processes to ensure that all processes are working together, that the workloads are fairly distributed, and that all deadlines are met.
- Aid in the development of policies and procedures including the creation and maintenance of a University Finance and Accounting Manual.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Senior Accounting Manager reports directly to the Vice President of Business and Finance.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting is required; advanced degree in Accounting or a Business field is preferred.
- CPA certification is preferred.
- A minimum of seven years of accounting experience is required and that experience should be reflected by having performed most, if not all, of the Responsibilities of this Position Description.
- Work experience must show the ability to handle a progressive growth of responsibilities.
- Work history must include non-profit and/or private university accounting and/or auditing experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Understands the University philosophy and mission.
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism and independence, and exercises discretion and confidentiality with a wide variety of complex issues on behalf of the University and its donors and business partners.
- Possesses exceptional oral, written, interpersonal and communications skills.
- Maintains high level of effectiveness and excellent customer service skills in different situations with varying people, tasks and responsibilities in a culturally diverse environment.
- Demonstrates ability to take initiative and follow-through, providing appropriate attention to details and functioning in a well-organized and time sensitive manner with a team spirit.
- Demonstrates experience in handling demands and requirements of senior-level or executive management in a non-profit, private university setting.
- Deals with multiple issues simultaneously.
- Maintains effective working relationship with all constituents.
- Demonstrates knowledge of accounting principles, practices and procedures.
- Experienced with investments and reconciling bank accounts.
- Experienced with spreadsheets, word processing and other computer applications, especially those applicable to the University.
- Experienced with financial accounting software, especially those applicable to the University.
- Manages projects by enlisting the aid of individuals from throughout the University.
TO APPLY: Applicants are requested to submit a resume, three letters of recommendations, and cover letter which in part addresses the contribution the candidate can make to a Catholic liberal arts institution. Information is to be sent to:
Barbara R. Miller, PHR, MBA
Director of Human Resources
Senior Accounting Manager Search
Mount St. Mary’s University
16300 Old Emmitsburg Road
Emmitsburg, Maryland 21727
or email resume materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain opened until filled.
Send inquiries to: email@example.com.
Mount St. Mary's seeks administrators who are eager to engage and support our Catholic identity. Mount St. Mary's University has a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity in its educational program and employment practices; we actively seek and welcome applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.