Assistant Director of Campus Activities (Job Search Status: Currently Accepting Resumes)
Three years ago, Mount St. Mary’s University began a major upgrade of its Campus Activities operations and programming to better meet the needs of its students. The changes that have occurred since then include: a) relocating to a new and strategically located office space, b) implementing a progressive and intensive a leadership development program (vs. a traditional programming board), and c) renovating our own programming space into a dynamic facility with state of the art sound and lighting capabilities.
The Mount is searching for an enthusiastic individual who is eager to develop professionally while providing support to the vast quantity and quality of the weekend programming that is run by the AMP (Activity Management Program) student leaders. Ideally this individual will have a familiarity with experimental education theory and methods as well as strong facilitation skills.
The Assistant Director of Campus Activities reports directly to the Director of Campus Activities and Student Leadership within the Student Affairs Division. The Office of Campus Activities encourages healthy lifestyles, student involvement, and an engaged campus community by offering programs that enhance their social, cultural, and developmental needs. This position supports the Director in management of the Campus Activities operations including: programming (on campus, off campus, activity center), staff training, risk management, and budgetary oversight. The position requires late night and weekend work.
- To provide assistance to the Director of Campus Activities and Leadership in the management of the Student Affairs operations, including:
- Communicate effectively with colleagues concerning pertinent divisional and university matters.
- Assist in select programs and special events.
- Collaborate with other offices throughout the university in running programs that assist all areas in meeting the University’s mission.
- To collaborate with the Director to design, plan, implement, manage, and oversee all Campus Activities programming (off campus programs, on campus programs, activity center, and AMP leadership development).
- Off Campus Programs:
- Work with student leaders to plan and implement open enrollment weekend activity trips, shuttles, and off campus events for the campus community.
- On Campus Programs:
- Work with student leaders in selection of talent and entertainment acts.
- Work with talent agents to negotiate, review and sign contracts.
- Work with students leaders to plan and implement on campus weekend activities.
- Active involvement in planning and implementing campus-wide special events.
- Provide oversight for management of Club 1808.
- Activity Center:
- Coordinate registrations and information dissemination, manage resource library, and oversee ticket sales.
- Manage Campus Activities' web site.
- Supervise collection of funds for all services.
- Special Initiatives:
- Coordinate Ring Tradition
- Coordinate Family Fest
- To collaborate with the Director to develop and implement standardized training for all student staff.
- Actively involved in the staff selection process.
- Directly train staff or select appropriate personnel to conduct training.
- Supervise and make decisions on staff’s ability and suitability for particular positions.
- Maintain direct knowledge as well as a written log of each staff members professional development.
- To maintain the highest industry standards in risk management.
- Develop a staff manual with standard safety protocols and operating procedures.
- Develop and monitor all preparatory procedures for each area.
- Evaluation of leaders and employees through extensive and ongoing training program.
- Select and maintain all equipment used for programming.
- Seek advanced certification for self and staff to ensure added professionalism.
- Select and evaluate all possible service providers.
- Serve as on site event manager for high profile events.
- Collaborate with Public Safety to ensure all safety and security concerns are addressed.
- Comply with local, state, federal laws as appropriate and secure permits when necessary .
- Other duties as assigned.
Master’s degree preferred. Experience in campus activities and/or event planning. Exposure or experience with the following additional skills would be desirable: DJ, sound and lighting, trip leading, experiential training and facilitation, late night operations. Additionally, the administrative capacity of the job requires strong computer skills, written and oral skills, and ability to multitask. Active in professional organizations is also preferred.
To Apply: Applicants are requested to submit a resume, three letters of recommendations, and cover letter which in part addresses the contribution the candidate can make to a Catholic liberal arts institution. Information is to be sent to:
Barbara R. Miller, PHR, MBA
Director of Human Resources
Mount St. Mary’s University
Assistant Director of Campus Activities Search
16300 Old Emmitsburg Road
Emmitsburg, Maryland 21727
or email resume materials to: email@example.com. This position will remain opened until filled.
Send inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mount St. Mary's seeks administrators who are eager to engage and support our Catholic identity. Mount St. Mary's University has a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity in its educational program and employment practices; we actively seek and welcome applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.